Thursday, December 16, 2010

Casual gay-bashing conversation at St. John's

       Today, after leaving the printing lab in Mariillac Hall, I retreated downstairs for some food in the cafeteria.  On my way down the stairs there were two boys in front of me having conversation amongst themselves.  They were talking about their roommate in the dorms.  They were thinking of ways they could get him removed from their suite next semester.  Why?  Because he is gay.
       I think it's awful, not only to feel this way within yourself, but to be comfortable enough in your prejudice to speak about it with others around.  You never know who is listening and who might be hurt by your words.  When I heard them speaking, I didn't respond to their harshness with a racial slur.  Why?  Aside from the fact that I am not racist or prejudiced in the least, I didn't say anything  because had I done so to prove my point, they would have turned around SO fast and made a scene about it.  Why, though?  Why is prejudice against gays okay, and other prejudices are not?
      I held my tongue, but I regret it.  I should have told them they were wrong.  I should have told them they were awful for saying what they said.  The names they called him amongst themselves so casually is what leads so many gay students to suicide.  I should have said something.  Calling a gay man a fagg*t should be just as wrong as calling others racial, prejudicial, discriminatory slurs. And it's not.  WHY?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment